Coming to Kinnick Stadium for Saturday's Iowa football game? Here's where you can find parking
One of the last things you want to be doing on the day of a home game for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes football team is scrambling for parking.
And if you’re less of a walker and more of a wait-for-the-shuttle kind of person, you’ll want to know the parking spots that offer that service.
So, ahead of Saturday’s 2:30 home game against Kent State and all future games, here are some places to park to make getting to Kinnick Stadium smoother.
When parking lots open and how you can pay
This fall, all UI Athletics-managed parking lots “will open no more than 6 hours prior to kickoff and no earlier than 6:00 a.m. on the day of each home football game,” according to the Hawkeye Sports website. Exceptions to this include the Hancher Auditorium and Hawkeye Commuter lots, which are not managed by UI Athletics on gameday.
All public parking lots will operate as cashless, meaning credit cards will be the only accepted form of payment on game days.
You can buy a season-long ($100) or single-game ($25) prepaid parking pass in advance for Lot 3, Lot 65, Ramp 4 and the Myrtle Lot. Contact email@example.com or call 1-800 IA-HAWKS to purchase a prepaid parking pass.
This year, mobile parking passes have replaced printed hangtags, except for parking passes for RVs or a reserved space in Lot 43W. Keep that in mind as printed parking passes will not be accepted on game day.
For gameday updates, including information on parking lot closures, follow @TheIowaHawkeyes on Twitter.
Where to find free public parking with shuttle services
The following lots provide free parking, plus complimentary shuttle services. The shuttle service begins two hours before kickoff, and post-game shuttle service is available for about an hour.
- Hancher Auditorium Lot, or lot 55, is located at 298 N. Riverside Drive. The lot is located west of Hancher Auditorium. Shuttle service pickup is located at the bus stop within the lot and drops off at the bus loop on Newton Road, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. If you prefer to walk to Kinnick Stadium, or perhaps you arrive before the shuttle service begins, know that it’s slightly more than a mile to get to the stadium.
- Hawkeye Commuter Lot, or lot 85, is located at 3350 Hawkeye Park Road. The lot is located west of Mormon Trek Boulevard and the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. This parking lot is free and offers shuttle services as well. Pickup is located at the bus stop within the lot and drops off at the bus stop east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Elliott Drive, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. If you opt out of the shuttle services, the walk to Kinnick is over 2 miles, making it a more than 40-minute trek. So come prepared for a hike, or make sure to time your plans up with shuttle services.
- Hall of Fame Lot, or lot 71, is located by the UI Athletics Hall of Fame at 2425 Prairie Meadow Drive. This lot offers free parking and shuttle services. Pickup is located on Prairie Meadow Drive and drops off at the bus stop east of Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Elliott Drive, according to the Hawkeye Sports website. At about 2 miles, this makes for a more than half-hour walk to Kinnick Stadium.
Other public parking options
- Finkbine Commuter Lot. You have two options here. You can park at the Finkbine Golf Course Lot, which is off Melrose Avenue. Or, you can park at the Finkbine Commuter Lot, also known as lot 65, located at 1380 Melrose Ave., which is the address for the Finkbine Golf Course. Essentially, you’ll take Finkbine Commuter Drive to access the commuter lot, which is located on the northeast side of the Finkbine Golf Course and can be accessed off Hawkins Drive. Gameday attendees can purchase parking here for $25. The walk to Kinnick Stadium is about a mile or less, depending which lot you park at, so it’ll take 20 minutes or so to get to the stadium.
- Library Lot, or Lot 3, or the Main Library lot, costs $25 for a parking pass. Availability here is dependent upon how many prepaid passes were sold for the lot, which also costs $25 for those interested in buying ahead. The walk to Kinnick Stadium takes about 18 minutes, a little less than a mile depending on which route you take.
- Lot 11 (CRWC). The Recreation Center lot is located at 500 S. Madison St. Parking here costs the hourly rate. Over one hour costs $1.80, and costs $1.20 every additional hour. If you walk along West Burlington Street, the trek to Kinnick Stadium is one mile, which will take about 22 minutes.
- Myrtle Lot. Myrtle Lot is located at 234 Myrtle Ave., near the Dairy Queen off South Riverside Drive. Like Lot 3, a parking pass costs $25, but availability here is dependent upon how many prepaid passes were sold for the lot. And seeing as it’s less than a mile walk, taking about 15 minutes, this is certainly a spot to check out for those looking to get to the stadium quicker.
- Newton Road Ramp, or Lot 10, is located at 426 Newton Road. Parking here costs the hourly rate. Over one hour costs $1.80, and costs $1.20 every additional hour. It’s about an 11-minute walk, or exactly half a mile, if you follow Newton Road to get to the stadium.
- Softball Fields Lot. This parking lot is next to the Hawkeye Softball Complex, which is located at 105 First Ave. in Coralville. Parking here costs $25, and it’s 1.3 miles from the stadium, making it a 26-minute walk.
- Lower Finkbine Lot. Lower Finkbine Lot is located before the Hawkeye Softball Complex, off Second Street and across from the Freddy’s Frozen Custard in Coralville. Parking here costs $25 and it is just over a mile walk to the stadium.
Lot 43N is ADA-only parking at $25 per car. Ramp 3 offers ADA parking, but only for prepaid season-long holders for $100. Ramp 4 offers ADA parking for prepaid season-long holders, prepaid single-game parking holders and day of game parking passes.
If you have an RV, parking is available at the following lots for $80 day of game, or $500 prepaid season-long parking holders:
- Finkbine Commuter Lot
- Lower Finkbine Lot
- Softball Fields Lot
You can also park your RV at the following lots for free:
- Hancher Auditorium Lot
- Hawkeye Commuter Lot
- Hall of Fame Lot
Visit hawkeyesports.com for more information related to parking.
Paris Barraza covers entertainment, lifestyle and arts at the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Reach her at PBarraza@press-citizen.com or (319) 519-9731. Follow her on Twitter @ParisBarraza.