Iowa's Daniels on watch list for Wuerffel Trophy
Iowa running back LeShun Daniels Jr. was named Wednesday to the "watch list" for the Wuerffel Trophy that is awarded to the FBS player that best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement.
Daniels saw action in 12 games with five starts last season as a junior. He gained 646 rushing yards — the second highest total on the team — in 145 attempts, and was listed as the first team running back following spring practice.
The Ohio native has been involved with numerous community service activities since arriving on campus in 2013 — visiting with patients at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics several times, and volunteering with Camp Courageous, the Ladies Football Academy, Dance Marathon and Play2BFit.
The Wuerffel Trophy watch list includes 88 athletes. Former Hawkeye linebacker James Morris was a finalist for the award in 2013.
Semifinalists will be revealed Nov. 3, and finalists will be announced Nov. 23. The winner will be revealed Dec. 6 at the National Football Foundation’s news conference in New York City.
- Iowa linebacker Jewell on Butkus Award watch list
- Iowa cornerback King on third preseason award watch list
- Iowa coach Ferentz on watch list for Dodd Trophy
- King, Jewell, Johnson named to defensive watch lists
- Iowa's Sean Welsh on watch list for top center
- Iowa's Kittle on watch list for award to top tight end
- C.J. Beathard, Desmond King on watch lists for top awards