Iowa wrestling: Sam Stoll, Vince Turk suspended from Hawkeyes' season opener
Iowa wrestling coach Tom Brands announced on Wednesday that both Sam Stoll and Vince Turk have been suspended for the start of the 2018-19 season.
Stoll and Turk will serve one-match suspensions when the Hawkeyes open their season at Kent State on Nov. 9. Iowa is scheduled to wrestle both Cal-State Bakersfield and Kent State that day.
Both wrestlers are suspended due to a violation of team rules.
"This program holds its wrestlers to a high standard and our team expects everyone to meet those standards," Brands said in a release. "When a student-athlete falls short of those expectations, it is the coach’s job to hold them accountable."
Brands announced Stoll's suspension last month while speaking at the Grid Club in Davenport. He said Stoll, who sustained a gunshot wound in June, is healthy and "moving forward," adding that, "the worst is behind him; the best ahead of him."
Stoll was charged with "false report to public entity" this summer for lying to police after the incident. Stoll said he lied to police to protect the friend who shot him, according to a police complaint from the Iowa City Police Department. He underwent surgery on his knee on June 19 and was released from the hospital June 20.
MORE WRESTLING COVERAGE FROM THE DES MOINES REGISTER
- WORLD TEAM NEWS: Former UNI star Joe Colon added to men's world team
- HAWKEYE WRESTLING CLUB: Alli Ragan withdraws from world team
- ANALYSIS: After recruiting spree, a look at Iowa wrestling's future lineups
- PACKAGE DEAL: Mason City twins Cullan and Colby Schriever commit to Iowa
- PASSING OF A LEGEND:Bob Siddens, legendary Iowa wrestling coach, dies
- CYCLONES RECRUITING:Ryan Anderson, a Pennsylvania standout, commits to ISU
Both Stoll and Turk qualified for the 2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships and contributed to Iowa's third-place team finished. Stoll earned All-American honors with a fifth-place finish at 285 pounds. Turk wrestled at 141 and went 3-2 to reach the round of 16.
"Sam and Vince have accepted the consequences of their actions," Brands said. "The infractions were a first for both men, and I am very pleased with their response. We are moving forward."
Cody Goodwin covers wrestling and high school sports for the Des Moines Register. Follow him on Twitter at @codygoodwin.